There is nothing more stress relieving than relaxing by a fire!
The meditative qualities of watching the flames dance in the fireplace clears the mind and soothes the sole like little else can. However, if your fireplace becomes old, worn and in need of repair, it may become an unused eyesore. The nagging question is, what can be done to restore its charm? First and foremost, make sure that it is safe for use. Whether you have a wood or gas fireplace, the following maintenance guidelines are important. Here are some recommendations for ensuring your family’s safety before you light that next fire.
Wood Burning Fireplace Maintenance:
Have the chimney inspected annually and cleaned as recommended by a reputable chimney sweep.
- They will inspect for problems like cracks, faults, and structural damage that may not visible from the outside.
- When needed, chimney sweeps will remove creosote buildup and obstructions like leaves, branches and nests, as well as look for other problems within the system.
- It is helpful to have a cap installed at the top of the chimney to avoid the possibility that debris or animals can block the chimney.
- Be sure the fire screen is in good working condition to help prevent hot embers from escaping.
- Be sure the grate that holds the wood is in sturdy enough to hold the wood in place.
- Have the proper fireplace tools on hand for tending the fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
- Remove ashes regularly and dispose of them in a metal or fireproof container.
Gas Fireplace Maintenance:
The best person to perform the service is a specialty retailer who is trained in the maintenance of gas fireplaces. They will complete the following type of tasks when performing service on a gas replace:
- Adjust millivolt output.
- Clean and adjust the glowing embers and logs for best appearance.
- Clean the fan and related air circulation passages.
- Clean the glass.
- Ensure the vents are unobstructed and able to do their job.
- Inspect gas fittings.
- If you note any gas odors be sure to leave the area and report it immediately.
Remember to check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to be certain they are functioning properly!
Now that you know it is safe for your family, you can once again enjoy using your fireplace. However, safe and attractive are two very different things. If you decide that the current look of your fireplace isn’t what you would like it to be, consider giving it a makeover! Farha HomeTrends can transform it into the grand focal point of the room. Just imagine entertaining guests on a cold winter evening with a welcoming fire blazing in a beautifully redesigned fireplace.
Farha HomeTrends can bring back the charm and grandeur of your fireplace; whether you need just a fresh coat of paint applied to the mantel or you want a complete renovation. We have given a fresh new look to the fireplace in many of our client’s homes with amazing results. If you live in the Wichita, Ks. area, give us a call to schedule your free consultation for remodeling your fireplace, family room or any room of your home.
For more design inspiration, be sure to view our photo gallery!